OceanMind Board Chair
OceanMind are seeking an experienced board chair to help guide their next phase of growth in powering marine enforcement and compliance to protect the ocean’s ability to provide for human wellbeing.
Over eighty percent of all life on Earth dwells in our ocean, producing over half of the planet’s oxygen. Three billion people derive their protein from seafood. One in eight people depend on the sea to earn their livelihood. The ocean regulates our weather and our climate, absorbing gigatons of carbon each year. For these reasons and many more, human wellbeing is directly linked to the health of the ocean.
Yet the ocean is under dire threat from human activity and the relentless effects of climate change. UNESCO estimates that 60% of the world’s major marine ecosystems have been degraded or used unsustainably. Thousands of ocean species are threatened with extinction.
OceanMind helps protect the ocean by powering the regulators of human activity on the ocean, helping them enforce the rules and increase compliance. Using satellites and artificial intelligence we identify suspected non-compliance and deliver insights direct to those who can take action.
As a partner to the chief executive officer (CEO) and other board members, the Board Chair will provide leadership for OceanMind as it grows from a start-up non-profit organisation into a sustainable international entity. The Board Chair will support and sustain the work of OceanMind, work closely with the CEO, and provide leadership on governance and strategic support on fundraising.
Leadership, governance, and oversight
- Establishing and leading an effective Board to provide suitable advice and governance to develop and deliver OceanMind’s strategy to reduce human impact on the ocean
- Being a trusted advisor to the CEO as he develops and implements OceanMind’s strategic plan
- Developing and managing relationships and communicating with: funders, partners, and other stakeholders
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by OceanMind for evaluating its impact, and ensuring the organization’s impact on ocean health is measured regularly
- Acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring OceanMind’s commitment to a diverse Board and staff that reflects the communities OceanMind serves
- Promoting high standards of integrity, probity, ethics, diversity & inclusion
- Upholding OceanMind’s values of integrity, respect, unity, expertise, and positivity
- In collaboration with the CEO, generating substantial annual donations and fostering OceanMind’s overall financial health
- Identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major individual donors, corporate, and/or foundation gifts
Service on OceanMind’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, although reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed in line with OceanMind’s expenses policy.
For more information about this exciting opportunity please email Nick Wise, CEO at email@example.com.