Marine Protected Areas
OceanMind provides support for all aspects of marine protected area monitoring, surveillance and enforcement, from planning through to day-to-day operational effectiveness.
Our services include:
- Cost-effective remote surveillance, intelligence gathering, and patrol support
- Investigation into suspected non-compliance in support of prosecution
- Cutting-edge technology for “dark vessel” detection
- Automated tools for vessel compliance analysis with real-time alert feed
- Global database of current and historic vessel identity and fishing authorisations
- Marine spatial planning, including all forms of MPA from no-take to multi-use
- Technology assessments and training
- Policy and regulation review and reform
- Monitoring and evaluation, and threat and impact assessment
Case Study: UK Blue Belt Programme
OceanMind is providing ongoing intelligence gathering and patrol support to the UK Government to help protect marine reserves in the waters around its overseas territories. The Blue Belt Programme is run by the Marine Management Organisation, and establishes a network of marine protected areas around various overseas territories in the Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, and Pacific Ocean, totalling over 5 million square kilometres.
“The Blue Belt programme supports delivery of the UK government’s commitment to provide long term protection for the marine environment. We have been working with a number of technology partners to help deliver this goal. In 2017, in partnership with the Satellite Applications Catapult and OceanMind, we were able to access innovative satellite technologies to help establish, monitor and enforce large-scale MPAs across the British Indian Ocean Territory, Pitcairn Islands, Ascension, Tristan da Cunha, Saint Helena, British Antarctic Territory and South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands.”